To ensure your lawn has the best possible start it is important to carry out several steps to prepare the soil on which the turf will be laid. We recommend completing the following steps at least 2 weeks before your turf arrives.
- All existing vegetation should be killed using a glyphosate non-selective systemic herbicide, e.g. Roundup, carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Once all vegetation is dead (around 2 weeks) the area can be cleared and the ground prepared ready to lay the turf.
- The soil should be cultivated to about 6” or 15cm, to aerate the soil and minimise compaction. If the soil is very heavy mix in coarse sand or top soil to help drainage.
- Clear any stones and debris, then rake to produce a smooth level surface.
- Lightly roll or tread to produce a firm base on which to lay the turf.
- Although not essential we recommend a light dressing of fertiliser to aid growth, following manufacturer’s instructions.